One of the largest banking and Financial Services organizations in the world. The Customer’s international network comprises around 7,500 offices in over 80 countries and territories in Europe, the Asia-Pacific region, the Americas, the Middle East and Africa.
The business ranges from the traditional high street roles of personal finance and commercial banking, to private banking, consumer finance as well as corporate and investment banking.
As part of the bank’s Digital Strategy to transform the way products and services are delivered to customers globally, AirWalk were engaged by the client to lead and drive the adoption of Amazon Web Services (AWS).
The Customer had made a significant investment in their Digital Strategy, including attracting external talent from outside the banking sector who were used to working in agile environments and with the latest technologies. It was identified early in the programme that public cloud would be a strategic enabler and transformational, but the Customer had no previous experience of public cloud and the regulatory position in both the UK (PRA/FCA) and abroad was unclear.
AirWalk were engaged to establish and lead a global programme of adoption which included
- Designing and implementing a new target operating model for public cloud
- Defining and implementing relevant Service Management processes and procedures and established front door process to support onboarding new projects
- Knowledge transfer and upskilling
- Providing architectural oversight and design consultancy
With this mandate, AirWalk designed, built and operated the first Production workload on public cloud for Open Banking , demonstrating that secure, reliable and resilient banking services could be built on public cloud at pace using AWS native resources including AWS Lambda with NodeJS, CloudFront, API Gateway, DynamoDB, SNS, SQS and CloudFormation
AirWalk provided architectural oversight and guidance for the agile development of the cloud platform, governance and advice on DevOps and security best practice. To support this AirWalk created a cyber control catalogue for cloud, identifying changes needed to existing policies and standards to allow use of public cloud together with a factory approach to producing patterns and secure designs for operating AWS services ( in a way that met the strict security controls expected of a financial institution.
Using AirWalk’s ‘Continuous Compliance Framework, real time controls were then implemented quickly to ensure ongoing compliance of all workloads running on AWS, whilst allowing the development teams to feel empowered and able to use cloud services safely and securely.
Fast results – risk acceptance to run non-production workloads and first production workload launched on AWS in weeks instead of months.
- Over 12 production banking workloads running on AWS within 12 months, with over 100 more in the pipeline.
- Client’s 3 lines of defence all approved the approach and controls implemented.
- Structured programme and control enabling the client to confidently accelerate their cloud adoption programme on a global scale (over 100 projects in year 2).
- AirWalk’s knowledge and experience contributed to the development of the new Digital cloud platform, which is based on a combination of container orchestration and runtime using EKS and serverless architectures with AWS Lambda, API Gateway, and AWS native tooling, CodeBuild, CodePipeline and CodeDeploy.
- Methodology and approach adopted by client to support subsequent cloud adoption programmes with new cloud providers